top of page


KGB Electrical would always advocate for using an approved contractor, whether a NICEIC, SELECT or NAPIT member you have the assurance of the contractor being vetted and approved by a regulating body, as well as having the required qualifications, insurances and experience to be carrying out you works safely.

Electrical Safety is fundamental in any home or property and hugely overlooked in many instances.

Consumer Units, Distribution Boards or "Fuseboards" as they're more commonly known as, come in various forms. Should these be replaced within your property this is regarded as an "Alteration" to the existing installation.
The works must therefore be designed, erected and verified for compliance with BS7671 and must not compromise the safety of the existing installation. On Completion you must be issued with an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate)

It's of our opinion, a consumer unit should never be changed unless an EICR has been carried out first, to verify the safety of the installation for continued use. One exemption to this would be, a "distress change", in the unlikely event of this happening, it still must meet four important criteria's.

What is an EIC?

An EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate) are issued for Consumer Unit Changes, New Circuits (Additions) and New Installations. 

bottom of page